In Konkani, Nonche means pickle and this dish has a lot of red gravy which makes it look more attractive.
- Can add vegetables like beans, cauliflower, green chilly, lemon, ginger, carrot, ivy gourd/tendle and raw mango.
- Raw mango or lemon skin(keylime) should be fresh and sour.
- Vegetables should be fresh too.
- Lemon skin(keylime) should not have it's skin dried.
- Use green chilly with no black seeds.
- Make sure that all the bowls,spoons, mixer jar, blender and vessels used during making pickle should be dry and clean with no water drops.
- The pickle tastes best after 3-4 days once the vegetables are nicely soaked in the gravy.
- Use clean and dry air tight container or glass jar/porcelain jar to store the pickle and refrigerate it.
- Be careful when adding salt. Start with less quantity and can be adjusted at the end.
- Some people make it in 1 day and have it the next day.
- But I take 2 days to prepare it. First day, I only soak vegetables in a salt water so that vegetables absorb the salt. Next day, I prepare pickle masala/paste and leave it overnight.
- If you don't want to drag it for 2 days then you can make it in one day leaving 3-4 hours gap between each step.
Yield : 1 jar
|Mixed Vegetable Pickle / Mixed Vegetable Nonche|
|Red Chilly / Red Chilly Powder||25 nos / 1 cup|
|Mustard Seeds / Saasama||2 tbsp|
|Asafoetida / Hing||2 tbsp|
|Lime Skin||2 small divided into 8 parts each|
|Carrot||1 finely chopped|
|Ginger||2 inch finely or vertically chopped|
|Green Chilly||5-6 finely chopped|
- Boil water by adding salt to it for 15 minutes or until you get 2-3 bubbles. Cover the boiled water with a thin cloth and rest till it completely cools(better half a day or 2-3 hours).
- Chop the above mentioned vegetables and drain the water,pat and dry them completely with no water droplets. Add these chopped vegetables to the salt water and allow to rest for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Next day or after 4 hours, drain the salt water from the vegetables into a dry bowl and don't throw the salt water instead make use of it while making paste.
- Take a clean and dry mixer jar or blender, finely powder mustard seeds,red chilies and asafoetida by making use of the salt water to form a smoother and softer paste.
- Now mix together the vegetables and paste. Store it in a cool place.
- Adjust the salt, water and lime juice if needed and keep it covered overnight or for atleast 5-6 hours for the flavors to get in.
- Pour the pickle in a dry air tight container or a glass jar and keep in refrigerator for future use.