Alsande Upkari / Long Beans Stir Fry
Alsando / Long green bean is my favorite vegetable and we used to get it from Mangalore specially for this dish. When I got married and moved to Singapore I had no hopes of having this dish ever again. But luckily people here loves this vegetable and it is found almost every where and I can have it when I wish.
- Number of green chilies depend on how spicy they are. I am using 5 as mine are not very spicy.
- Don't add water as long beans leaves little water on cooking or use steaming method by covering the pan with a broad plate/thali instead of lid and adding some water on top of the plate so that the water in the plate doesn't allow veggies to get burnt or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- People who are diet conscious can skip adding coconut.
- Long green beans with grated coconut has a low life span so consume within a day or refrigerate.
- Long beans cooks much faster so be careful.
- Can add 1/2 tbsp split urad dal along with cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Can add little water if you feel long bean is not yet cooked, is dry and chances of getting burnt is more.
Cooking Time : 7 Minutes
Total Time : 12 Minutes
|5 finely chopped or vertically splitted
|Coconut Oil / Normal Oil
|Cumin Seeds / Jeera
|Mustard Seeds / Saasama
|Dry Red Chilies
|2-3 nos chopped
|Grated Coconut (Optional)
|Long Green Beans
|2 cups 1 inch long
- Heat oil in a pan / deep frying pan.
- Add mustard seeds,cumin seeds and curry leaves. When mustard seeds pop up, add red chilies, green chilies and long green beans. Mix it well.
- Add salt as per taste and close the pan with the lid on low flame.
- Once the long green bean is cooked, turn off the flame and garnish with grated coconut.
- Serve hot as a side dish.