I use sambar powder prepared by my mother-in-law. Before I used to make it from MTR or Ganesh sambar powder. I will post someday the recipe for my mother-in-law's sambar powder. Who ever has tasted my mother-in-law's kolmbo has become a fan of it and I too belong to that group. So my mother-in-law gets me a bottle of sambar powder every time.
- We are adding turmeric powder and oil while boiling toor dal as it helps to boil fast.
- I am not cooking toor dal and vegetables together because toor dal will take more time to cook by then all the vegetables will get over-cooked.
- Better to dissolve sambar / kolmbo powder in water or tamarind water.
Yield : 3-4 servings
|Sambar / Kolmbo|
|Coconut Oil / Normal Oil||2 tbsp|
|Mustard Seeds / Saasama||1 tbsp|
|Green Chilly||2-3 splitted vertically|
|Cumin Seeds / Jeera||1 tbsp|
|Toor Dal / Tori Dali||1 glass|
|Drum Stick||1-2 chopped|
|Carrot||1 small chopped|
|Potato||1 small cubes|
|Onions||2 small cut into half or quaters|
|Brinjal||4-5 small vertically splitted|
|Tamarind water||3 tbsp|
|Sambar / Kolmbo Powder||2 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder / Haldi||1 Small in size|
|Coconut Oil / Normal Oil||1 tbsp|
Wash and Soak Toor Dal for 20-30 minutes so as to take less time to boil.
- In a cooker, add toor dal, turmeric powder, oil and 3 glasses of water. Wait for 2 whistles and switch off the flame and wait until it cools.
- Transfer the cooker content into a bowl and in the same cooker, add ghee and fry all the vegetables in it for 2 minutes. This will give a nice flavor.
- Now add the dal content that was transferred to the bowl again into the cooker and add little water and wait for 1 whistle. Let the flame be high so that vegetables will not get over-cooked.
- In a small bowl, take the tamarind water and sambar / Kolmbo powder and mix them well.
- After 1 whistle and on cooling, open the lid and start to boil again. While it is boiling add the tamarind water and sambar powder which is in the bowl.
- Add salt and asafoetida.
- While it is boiling, heat the normal oil / coconut oil in the spatula for seasoning. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chilies, red chilies and curry leaves. Wait until it's color changes to brown.
- When it starts to boil add this seasoning to it and serve hot with plain rice, idli, dosa or ragi balls.