- The Vegetable Kurma goes very well with Set dosa. Click on Vegetable Kurma to get it's recipe.
- Sambar is another side dish for Masala Dosa. Click here, Sambar / Kolmbo for it's recipe.
- Use the soaking water while grinding for proper fermentation.
- Adding salt to the batter will fasten the process of fermentation.
- Mixing the batter with hands will also help for faster fermentation due to presence of bacteria in hand.
- Set dosa is roasted only on one side.
- Eat it when hot.
- Keep the batter in the fridge if you are not making dosas immediately or if the batter is remaining so to use it the next day.
- Chutney goes well with Set Dosa also.
- 2 tbsp grated coconut can be added if needed.
- Adding Beaten Rice / Poha is optional. Beaten Rice makes the dosa soft.
- You can add soda or Eno to fasten the process of fermentation.
Cooking Time : 10 Minutes
Total Taken : 12 Hours
|Normal White Rice Grains||1 cup|
|Red/Boiled Rice Grains||1 Cup|
|Beaten Rice / Poha / Avalakki||1/2 Cup|
|Whole Urad Dal||1/2 Cup|
|Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Water||Sufficient for grinding|
|Salt||as per taste|
- Wash normal white rice, beaten rice and boiled/red rice for 3-4 times and soak them together in a bowl for 3-4 hours prior to grinding.
- Wash fenugreek seeds / methi seeds 2 times and soak them separately in a small bowl for 3-4 hours prior to grinding.
- In a grinder or a Mixer, add all the above ingredients along with sufficient amount of water.
- Grind until you get a fluffy and smooth consistency of the batter.
- Take the dosa batter in a large bowl and add salt.
- Now allow it to ferment overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Next day or after 7-8 hours, you can see the batter fermented.
- Before making the dosa, mix the batter very well for 3-4 times.
- Heat a non-stick pan/tava. Sprinkle some water to check if it is hot enough and use a cloth to wipe the water on a pan. Repeat this every time before you pour the batter.
- Take a ladle full of batter, pour it on a non-stick tava or pan.
- Spread some oil on top and cook till one side is done on medium flame.
- Serve hot with chutney, sambar, potato/batata bhajji or vegetable kurma.