I watched many youtube videos and read many sites with this recipe. Finally, i was ready with the recipe by combining the ingredients from all the videos and sites that i felt was suitable. And i gave it a first try on my husband's birthday and it turned out to be the best gift.
This recipe can be divided into 3 phases i.e., Gravy Preparation, Rice Preparation and Seasoning.
- Chilies can be added as per your taste.
- We are marinating Chicken/ Mutton for 1 hour.
- Good quality basmati rice is well suited for any kinds of biryani.
- Make sure the rice is half cooked and not over cooked in rice preparation phase.
- Adding ghee at the end is optional in seasoning.
- We are keeping biryani vessel on top of the tawa / thin plate or non-stick pan to make sure that the bottom part of biryani vessel doesn't burn.
Cooking Time : 40 Minutes
Total Time : 55 Minutes
Garlic Ginger Paste
Garam Masala Powder
Red Chilly Powder
Turmeric Powder / Haldi
Mint Leaves / Pudina
Green Chilly Paste
Plain Yogurt / Curd
500 gms / 2 cups
Chicken / Mutton
4 fried in oil
All garam masala grinded
Wash and clean Chicken/Mutton.
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients in a bowl and marinate for 1 hour.
|Basmati Rice Grains / Normal Rice Grains||3 cups|
|Coriander Leaves||1/2 cup|
|Mint Leaves||1/4 cup|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 tbsp|
|Cinnamon Sticks||4-5 (1/2 inch)|
- Take a heavy bottomed wide vessel. Pour water into it.
- When it starts to boil add basmati rice, green chilies, coriander leaves, mint, cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- When the rice is half cooked carefully drain the water and keep the rice aside.
|Saffron Milk||1/2 cup|
|Lemon Juice||2 tbsp|
- Take a heavy bottomed broad vessel. Spread the marinated chicken at the bottom. Add little water to make it like a gravy.
- On top of the marinated chicken layer, spread half cooked rice and level it.
- Add Saffron milk and lemon juice on top of it.
- Above it spread little fried onions and ghee(if needed).
- Now keep the heavy bottomed broad vessel on stove for 2 minutes on high flame.
- Now place a tawa / thin plate or a non-stick pan on the lowest burner of your stove. The flame should be at the lowest setting. Place the biryani vessel on top of the frying pan and let cook for 30-40 minutes or so.
- Take the vessel off the heat source. The smell will be amazing on opening the lid.
- Mix it up slightly if you want. Else use a long spoon to scoop out the layers right from the rice to the chicken onto a plate.
- Serve the biryani hot with some raitha, papad and a good pickle on the side.